David Burnie is a graduate of the Zoological Society of London and a fellow of the society. He began his work as a nature preserve ranger and biologist, and has since built a thriving career as a wildlife and plant writer and consultant. More than 140 books and multimedia products on nature and the environment, including DK's Animal and Natural History encyclopedias, have been authored or contributed to by him. In 2005, he was a finalist for the Royal Society's Aventis Prize.
- The Animal Book: A Visual Encyclopedia of Life on Earth
- DK Eyewitness Books: Eagle and Birds of Prey: Discover the World of Birds of Prey How They Grow, Fly, Live, and Hunt
- DK Eyewitness Books: Tree: Discover the Fascinating World of Trees from Tiny Seeds to Mighty Forest Giants
- DK Eyewitness Books: Plant: Discover the Fascinating World of Plants from Flowers and Fruit to Plants That Sting [With CDROM and Fold-Out Wall Chart]
- The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia