Henry Beard was a member of the Harvard Lampoon and a Harvard University student. He later co-founded the National Lampoon with Douglas Kenney and served as the magazine's editor during its heyday in the 1970s. He is the author of several bestselling humor books, including Miss Piggy's Guide to Life and The Official Politically Correct Dictionary and Handbook (co-authored with Christopher Cerf).
- Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
- Sailing - A Sailor's Dictionary - A Dictionary for Landlubbers, Old Salts, & Armchair Drifters
- X-Treme Latin: All the Latin You Need to Know for Survival in the 21st Century
- Latin for All Occasions: Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus (English and Latin Edition)
- Advanced French for Exceptional Cats