At Columbia University, John McWhorter teaches linguistics, Western civilisation, music history, and American studies. He is a CNN.com columnist, a regular contributor to the Atlantic, a frequent guest on CNN and MSNBC, and the host of Slate's language podcast, Lexicon Valley. He is also a New York Times best-selling author and TED speaker. The Power of Babel, Our Glorious Bastard Language, Words on the Move, Talking Back, Talking Black, and The Creole Debate are among his linguistic works.
- Woke Racism: How a New Religion Has Betrayed Black America
- The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language
- Words on the Move: Why English Won't - And Can't - Sit Still (Like, Literally)
- Nine Nasty Words: English in the Gutter: Then, Now, and Forever
- Talking Back, Talking Black: Truths about America's Lingua Franca