Mahmood Mamdani is the Herbert Lehman Professor of Government and head of Columbia University's Institute of African Studies. His book Citizen and Subject: Modern Africa and the Legacy of Late Colonialism (Princeton) won the African Studies Association's Herskovitz medal. The Myth of Population Control, From Citizen to Refugee, and Politics and Class Structure in Uganda are among his other works. He is the current President of the Council for Development of Social Research in Africa (CODESRIA), which is based in Dakar.
- Neither Settler Nor Native: The Making And Unmaking Of Permanent Minorities
- Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: America, The Cold War, And The Roots Of Terror
- Citizen And Subject: Contemporary Africa And The Legacy Of Late Colonialism
- When Victims Become Killers: Colonialism, Nativism, And The Genocide In Rwanda
- The World And Africa And Color And Democracy (The Oxford W. E. B. Du Bois)