Dr. Margo Gottlieb is the co-founder and chief developer for WIDA (a consortium of 41 states, territories, and federal agencies, as well as an worldwide consortium of 500 schools), which is based at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Wisconsin Center for Education Research. Margo began her career as a teacher and bilingual coordinator, and has been dedicated to the education and equity of multilingual learners for many years at the Illinois Resource Center, an arm of the Illinois State Board of Education. She was a Fulbright Senior Specialist in Chile before being appointed to the United States. First National Technical Advisory Board of the Department of Education, and was awarded by the TESOL International Association in 2016 for her outstanding commitment to the TESOL field. Margo's recent research has been on developing language development standards frameworks, supporting student agency through assessment as, for, and of learning, evaluating language education policy, and constructing linguistically and culturally sustainable curriculum.Margo has keynoted, presented, and advised in over 21 countries and nearly every state in the United States, offering technical assistance.
She has written, co-authored, or co-edited more than 20 publications, including Classroom Assessment in Many Languages: A Handbook for Educators, Assessing Multilingual Learners: A Month-by-Month Guide, Language Power: Essential Uses for Accessing Content (with M. Castro), and Bridges to Equity: Evaluating English Language Learners (2nd ed.).
- Assessing English Language Learners: Bridges to Educational Equity: Connecting Academic Language Proficiency to Student Achievement
- Language Power: Key Uses for Accessing Content
- Assessing Multilingual Learners: A Month-By-Month Guide (ASCD Arias)
- Assessment and Accountability in Language Education Programs: A Guide for Administrators and Teachers
- Bundle: Gottlieb: Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: English Language Arts, Grades K-2 + Gottlieb: Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: Math