The Ethnic Studies Ph.D. was founded by Ronald Takaki (1939-2009). He taught for thirty years at the University of California, Berkeley, in the program. A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America and Double Victory: A Multicultural History of America in World War II were among his six publications.
- A Different Mirror: A History Of Multicultural America
- A Different Mirror For Young People: A History Of Multicultural America
- Strangers From A Different Shore: A History Of Asian Americans Au Of...
- Double Victory: A Multicultural History Of America In World War Ii
- Iron Cages: Race And Culture In 19th-Century America