The Ethnic Studies Ph.D. was founded by Ronald Takaki (1939-2009). He taught for thirty years at the University of California, Berkeley, in the program. A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America and Double Victory: A Multicultural History of America in World War II were among his six publications.
- From Exiles to Immigrants: The Refugees from Southeast Asia
- Debating Diversity: Clashing Perspectives on Race and Ethnicity in America
- Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
- Violence in the Black Imagination: Essays and Documents
- A Different Mirror for Young People: A History of Multicultural America