The Ethnic Studies Ph.D. was founded by Ronald Takaki (1939-2009). He taught for thirty years at the University of California, Berkeley, in the program. A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America and Double Victory: A Multicultural History of America in World War II were among his six publications.
- Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
- Democracy and Race: Asian Americans and World War II (The Asian American Experience)
- Violence in the Black Imagination: Essays and Documents
- Pau Hana: Plantation Life and Labor in Hawaii 1835-1920
- Strangers from a Different Shore: A History of Asian Americans