Russell Shorto is a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine and the author of five novels. His writings have been translated into fourteen languages and have received several accolades. He was the director of the John Adams Institute in Amsterdam from 2008 to 2013.
- The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America
- Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City
- Revolution Song: A Story of American Freedom
- Exploring Historic Dutch New York: New York City * Hudson Valley * New Jersey * Delaware
- Descartes' Bones: A Skeletal History of the Conflict Between Faith and Reason